2.2.7 Publication/distribution/release/broadcasting information about the first appearance (original man.) of this expression
[type of data: transcribed data (literal); not repeatable]
- To distinguish one expression from another.
- To match the user's citation to a particular expression.
- To characterize the expression for a user unfamiliar with it.
- The place of publication, particularly if it is not a large publishing center, may suggest a local viewpoint.
- The publisher's name may suggest a viewpoint or bias, or may be an indication of the quality of the subject matter or the physical make-up of the manifestation embodying the expression.
- For non-fiction works, the date of publication, often in conjunction with an edition statement, may characterize the timeliless or scope of the subject matter contained in the expression.